Sunday, August 10, 2008

Did you ever doubt that you have what it takes?

Ed is confident and all, but sometimes—just like everyone—he questions his abilities. With tons of magazines and newspapers out there that he admires, he’d love to write for them all—naturally, since he’s a print (and website) junkie.

But since every title has its own tone and style, and Ed has his own style, he wonders if he’d be able to work at some prestigious titles or have enough wittiness to be funny at a certain weekly he adores.

This came about when he was having dinner with a good friend and commenting on how much he loved x magazine. The friend responded, “Why don’t you try to work there?”

Though we all know it’s not that easy to just “work there” in our industry, Ed didn’t correct his friend (who is so lucky to be in the marketing world) and looked past that snafu and onto the bigger picture: Could he work at that title?

Did he have what it takes to be funny, snarky, sarcastic, and creative on another level day in and day out? He is a funny guy if he does say so himself, but for one of the first time in years, Ed questioned himself.

Edsters, does this ever happen to you? Do you ever feel like you may not have a certain attitude, tone, or style that would fit one of your highly-admired titles?

5 comments:

katy ryan said...

Oh, Ed -- it's like you can see into the deepest recesses of my soul and pinpoint my biggest fears. Only in the past couple of months have I felt a glimmer of confidence that maybe, just maybe, I could work at one of The Big Titles later in my career. I think it takes equal parts perseverance, talent, sheer luck and knowing the right people, but haven't we always been told that if we want something badly enough, we can make it happen? At least that's what I'm hoping. Otherwise, I have a dynamic career in retail ahead of me!

Unknown said...

I interviewed for a position at NYLON before I remembered that I am in fact of a rather conservative disposition with a background in luxury media and a penchant for DVF wrap dresses and structured handbags, and perhaps I might not have as much to offer them as I would a publication that was a more natural fit. I suppose I could have--but sometimes you can't force it.

Lisa Romeo said...

Sure, what we love to read is not always what we love to, or are best suited to, write/ design/create. It's good to find this out sooner rather than later, and avoid beating ourselves up because we aren't working at the publications we love as a consumer. We may be better suited to working at publications we just like and can respect, where we can make a stronger contribution.

Anonymous said...

Um yeah, Ed-- I'm going through the same thing right now. This is my last year of college. I haven't completed an internship. I have doubted my talents and abilities for a long time. But I'm trying to break out of that habit. Probably since elementary school. My father had told me once and this sticks in my head all the time: "if you can dazzle them with intellect dazzle them with your b*******"

Unknown said...

Yes, yes and yes. Every day, actually. Every time I sit down in my cubicle (padded cell), I think to myself that this could be my last day.

After all, I'm an associate editor at one of the most prestigious regional business magazines in the country. What right do I have to be here?

I have nightmares that I'll walk into the office and my desk will have been cleaned out. "Hey, you! Your last four stories sucked. Move on. Find another pub to bring down."

But as much as I shake in my patent leather heels every time I put an article on the server for my managing editor, or sitting waiting for my staff writers to turn in their stories, I continue to tell myself that it will all be ok. They hired me for a reason. They saw something in me worth taking a chance on, even after all of my competitors for the job tried as hard as they could to get into my rolling chair.

That fear can be overwhelming. It's especially frightening when I think about landing a gig at one of my dream pubs. Oh National Geographic. How I long to scan for my name in your masthead. Oh Wired magazine, how I wish to write for you. I'd turn out the most insightful, witty 1,200 words on the latest tech trend and how it will change the world.

To be honest, the scariest part of it all, is knowing that these magazines are so far away. I'm down here in the deep south. Way down here. And all of those pubs that make my heart sing are way, way, way up north. :l One day. One day soon.